Temporal residency in Latvia for students
According to Latvian Immigration Law, a foreigner has the right to request a temporary residence permit in accordance for the time period of studies of educational establishments accredited in the Republic of Latvia or full-time students.
Under Latvian Immigration Law, a residence permit gives a foreigner the right to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a specified time period, for example, students may reside in Latvia for the time period of studies.
Visa certifies that a person has requested an authorisation to enter and reside in the Republic of Latvia or in any Schengen Agreement Member State for the period of time indicated in visa and for the number of times indicated therein.
Practically, in the case of studying abroad, a student arriving from third countries (residing outside Schengen Area) a residence permit is more suitable instead of student visa.
In order to receive a residence permit in the Republic of Latvia in connection with studies at an accredited higher educational establishment or participation in studies programme you shall present at embassy of Republic of Latvia a valid travel document admitted in the Republic of Latvia (passport) and submit the following documents:
- filled application for a residence permit request;
- a photography;
- a statement on punishability issued by a competent institution of the citizenship or the host country, if a foreigner has resided in that country longer than 12 months
- a document confirming the necessary subsistence - EUR 285 per month (12x 285EUR = 3415 EUR a year). In this regard you should present a statement from bank indicating that you own at least 3415 EUR;
- a document confirming the envisaged place of residence in the Republic of Latvia and the rights to stay there;
- a document confirming state duty payment;
- an agreement on studies in the Republic of Latvia;
- Documents confirming that you have acquired the necessary education to start the studies.
Before the submission of the documents your inviter shall approve the call at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs Foreigners Service Centre or at a territorial office. Probably the invitation would be granted by the particular educational institution concerned. The Inviter shall require the invitation at Migration Office in Latvia and afterwards the invitation shall be sent to the embassy by post. Invitation is mandatory document in the process of obtaining visa.
Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact our lawyers to find a solution!